Gwent Local History Council, initially known as Monmouthshire Local History Council, was formed in 1954 under the auspices of Monmouthshire Rural Community Council (now Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisations). As a confederation of local history societies it has, over the years, provided an invaluable opportunity for representatives of the various societies to meet and discuss ideas for speakers and activities.
Until March 2014 it enjoyed secretarial and administrative support from GAVO and its predecessors. GAVO is, however, no longer able to provide such support. As a result, in April 2014 it began to operate under the auspices of Gwent County History Association.
Representatives of each affiliated organisation meet quarterly.